Kevin R. Jones
President and CEO
Mr. Jones has worked in the environmental consulting, water resources, and remediation fields for more than 30 years. As the President and CEO of Cardinal Resources, he has taken his company in new directions by developing sustainable water treatment systems and promoting quality environmental services and consulting worldwide. His efforts at growing international business have earned the company recognition by the US Department of Commerce, and in 2014 he was appointed to the Western Pennsylvania District Export Council. His vision is to grow Cardinal Resources into the global preferred solution for sustainable water treatment. He states that, “Although what we are selling is a water system, ultimately what we provide is progress, a physical commitment to the future, and a step up for people.”
- Mr. Jones founded Cardinal Resources in 2004 as a double bottom line company with the goals to build a global company focused on the mission of Clean Water - Clean Environment - Worldwide.
- Beginning with conceptual designs in 2005, Mr. Jones has been instrumental in the development of the Red Bird System and holds four patents relative to the multimedia filtration and the system itself.
- Through Mr. Jones’ efforts, in 2011 Cardinal Resources was recognized by Commercial News USA as the Exporter of the Year in the Environmental Category and also received an Export Achievement Award from US Commercial Services (USCS). This growth and commitment has also generated international investments in late 2013 into the company from five countries.
- Starting in his previous company in the 1990s, Mr. Jones began to build global experience dealing with wastewater and groundwater remediation. His international work in these programs took him to China, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, India, Turkey, Mali, Senegal, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Canada, and Brazil.
- In2012 through 2013 in southern Nigeria, through multiple presentations and demonstrations at various levels of government, Mr. Jones laid the ground work for the large multi-unit sale in Bayelsa State. This sale will provide clean water for 150 communities, over the next three years.
- In addition to providing technical and market support, Mr. Jones is responsible for strategic planning. He has counseled patience and focus to his colleagues and investors as Cardinal Resources has faced unique challenges in making the jump from a service company to a manufacturing company, exporting to some of the most challenging countries for business.
Barbara H. Jones
Executive Vice President
Ms. Jones has worked her entire career in environmental and water quality remediation, design, and laboratory support. As a founding Principal for Cardinal Resources, she has a proven record of bringing together multidisciplinary teams to tackle complex environmental challenges. She has been a partner in the development of Red Bird Systems, with focus on filtration and disinfection steps, and has worked on environmental problems around the world for industrial clients. As a technical advisory board member for the environmental NGO Blacksmith Institute, she has worked as a volunteer and consultant for environmental remediation in Nigeria and Ukraine. Ms. Jones’ goals are to continue to grow a quality work force and move forward with innovations and improvements for water and wastewater treatment systems.
- Since 2005, from concept through system installation, Ms. Jones has been actively involved in the development and deployment of Red Bird Systems. Most recently, she travelled to Cameroon to inspect 13 community locations scheduled for installation of Red Bird Systems, to better evaluate source water and logistics.
- Ms. Jones works with the Red Bird Systems procurement group and manufacturing team to streamline production, foster Buy American for components and supplies, and promote cost savings measures without sacrificing quality.
- As a manager, Ms. Jones enjoys staff development, working with individuals at all levels to apply their training and skills in new directions while coaching them on client-centered approaches.
- As a senior project manager for several large-scale environmental remediation projects from proposal to field actions, Ms. Jones has kept projects on track and within budget. She has managed subcontractors, interacted with regulatory agencies to meet regulations while promoting cost-effective solutions, and has overseen program quality assurance/quality control.
- Ms. Jones has been entrusted by major clients to evaluate environmental conditions at industrial properties around the world. She has evaluated sites in Mexico, Australia, China, Japan, India, Brazil, and France, through a review of records, sampling and analysis, remedial actions, and interactions with plant personnel and regulators. She has provided assessments of environmental risks and the potential costs of bringing properties up to acceptable conditions.
Joyce M. O’Connor, P.G.
Vice President of Technology Development
Ms. O’Connor is a Senior Project Manager, Principal, and Geologist for Cardinal Resources, LLC. She has more than 20 years of experience in the environmental consulting field, and has worked in over 25 states.
Ms. O’Connor has managed projects under the CERCLA, RCRA, and various state voluntary action programs. These projects vary in size from small UST site assessments to complex industrial site investigation and remediation projects. Her areas of specialty include UST issues, storm water and NPDES programs, geophysical data gathering techniques, and geologic/hydrogeologic data interpretation.
Project Related Experience
Assessment and remediation of industrial site in southwestern Pennsylvania under Pennsylvania’s Land Recycling Act. Project included site characterization, soil remediation, design, installation, and operations and maintenance of a soil vapor extraction system, and groundwater monitoring. The Final Report was submitted to PADEP and a release from liability was received.
Release from liability for industrial site in northwestern Pennsylvania under Pennsylvania’s Land Recycling Act. Project included site characterization, soil remediation, completion of application forms, notification to residents, and establishment of deed restrictions.
Remediation of former industrial site in northern Alabama under Alabama’s voluntary action program (in progress). Project included site characterization, soil remediation, design, installation, and operation of ground- water treatment system application for NPDES permit, and ongoing groundwater monitoring. Extensive negotia- tions with several departments within ADEM have been required. A risk evaluation is currently underway and is expected to lead to site closure.
NPDES permitting/monitoring for steel company in central Pennsylvania and steel company near Chicago, Illinois. Projects involved assistance with permit applications as wells as NPDES sampling with completion of Discharge Monitoring Reports.
Senior hydrogeologist for CERCLA site in western Illinois during implementation of remedial alternative directed by the Record of Decision.
Closure/modification of 50+ retail service stations for retail fuel distributor in eastern Ohio under Ohio’s Bureau of Underground Storage Tank Regulations (BUSTR). Projects involved closure assessments, site investigations, risk assessments, identification of engineering controls, and soil and groundwater remediation, depending upon site conditions.
Project manager on drum removal project for client in Charlotte, North Carolina. Project consisted of evaluation of unknown drum contents, sampling, and removal of drums.
Storm water permitting of 25+ sites for integrated steel maker in multiple states. Permitting involved identification of storm water discharges, selection of sampling parameters, sampling, completion of permit applications, and creation of selected storm water management plans.
Chief Financial Officer
Mr. Kassab is the founder and managing partner of a professional services practice that provides tax, accounting, payroll, business advisory and legal services; His practice is comprised of KHI Professional Services, LLC d/b/a Padgett Business Services® and Adam C. Kassab Esquire, PLLC. From 2013 until 2014, he served as Chief Financial Officer for Bolttech Mannings, Inc., an international provider of industrial services for the oil and gas industry and the power generation market. From 2006 until 2013, Mr. Kassab served as Chief Financial Officer and General Counsel to United Network Services, Inc., a provider of managed network services for voice and data networks.
Mr. Kassab is a Certified Management Accountant, an attorney and a member of both the Institute of Certified Management Accountants and the Pennsylvania Bar. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Bryant University, completed his post baccalaureate accounting studies at Robert Morris University and earned his law degree from Duquesne University.